Re: ORA-1555 error with AUM already enabled

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 16:18:30 -0700

SQL> select * from dba_data_files where tablespace_name like '%UNDO%';

FILE_NAME
   FILE_ID TABLESPACE_NAME                     BYTES     BLOCKS STATUS
---------- ------------------------------ ---------- ---------- ---------
RELATIVE_FNO AUT   MAXBYTES  MAXBLOCKS INCREMENT_BY USER_BYTES USER_BLOCKS
------------ --- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------- -----------
ONLINE_
-------
/export2/oradata/afghan/undotbs01.dbf
         3 UNDOTBS1                        251658240      30720 AVAILABLE
           3 YES 3.4360E+10    4194302          640  250609664       30592
ONLINE

I can certainly make it larger, and increase the retention time, but I guess I
am confused about what is actually being automatically managed?  I got the
impression from something I read (can't find it now) that the setting of
undo_retention is just a starting point and that Oracle would adjust both the
retention time and the amount of space allocated based on real-world
conditions.  Clearly, from the advice y'all are giving that is not the case. :)
 So what does this feature actually do?

I should mention that the export file that results from this is only 14GB -
tiny for Oracle.  So it's not like I'm pushing the boundaries in any
significant way.

janine

On May 25, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Jared Still wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> EXP-00056: ORACLE error 1555 encountered
> ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 1 with name
> "_SYSSMU1_3780397527$" too small
>
> I checked the parameters that control automatic undo management and found
> them to be set correctly:
>
> SQL> show parameter undo
>
> NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
> ------------------------------------ -----------
> ------------------------------
> undo_management                      string      AUTO
> undo_retention                       integer     900
> undo_tablespace                      string      UNDOTBS1
>

> Janine,
>
> The undo_retention parameter is the amount of time in seconds that oracle
> will try to maintain undo to rebuild queries.
>
> You can still run out of space.
> What does this query show:
>
> select * from dba_data_files where tablespace_name like '%UNDO%'
>

> Jared Still
> Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com
> Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

---