ORA-1031 if database is not open, fine otherwise

Hello all,

I have scratched my head for a long time now and can't get to the bottom of this problem. Facts:
- OEL5.5 64bit
- RDBMS 11.2.0.2 (with Grid Infrastructure 11.2.0.2 aka Oracle Restart)

I would like to connect as sys via Net*8: sqlplus sys/foo@db as sysdba
SQL> conn sys/orcl@orcl as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

The same in rman and dgmgrl. I have set *.remote_login_passwordfile='EXCLUSIVE'

The funny part is here: when I connect "/ as sysdba" on the box, it works (no surprise). So I start the database past nomount (the problem exists in nomount as well) and voila:

@ > conn / as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SYS@orcl AS SYSDBA> startup mount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  313159680 bytes
Fixed Size                  2226072 bytes
Variable Size             188745832 bytes
Database Buffers          117440512 bytes
Redo Buffers                4747264 bytes
Database mounted.
SYS@orcl AS SYSDBA> conn sys/orcl@orcl as sysdba
Connected.

Nothing in sqlnet.ora by the way, the file doesn't exist. I have statically registered the ORCL database in $GRID_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora as well.

Any idea and help greatly appreciated.

Martin

--
Martin Bach