RE: ORA-01555 seems bogus

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kellyn Pedersen" <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>, <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:49:39 -0500

Kelly,

    OH SH&^, I think we crossed wires.  What I meant by "undo is the
very last" is that the last thing you want to do is extend the undo
space because the lack of undo is not the problem.  Case in point, an
SAP system that was always throwing ORA-01555 error on a specific report
that took all day to process.  The UNDO space was 10 times the size of
the entire rest of the database because the BASIS Admin was always
adding undo space in response to the error, yet the error remained.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

        From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 8:05 AM

        Dave,

            An ORA-01555 is never bogus, but very misleading as you've
found out.  OK, so the query in question is part of a package.  Is the
package called from some application that's doing a "commit across a
cursor", or is the package doing it internally?  Lots of places to look
and undo is the very last.