Re: ORA-01555 seems bogus

Hey Dave,
Have you tried a different approach and investigated what is actually in your
UNDO tablespace?  How much space do you really have available to allocate to
the process?  It does sound like you have investigated the current direction
with some depth and

I would also be curious to see the query utilized stating the process had a
12,000 second duration.  Some of the information in the undo views can be a bit
misleading, where a previous statement might be the culprit instead of the
current one.

I might recommend looking in the undo tablespace at the queries that are not
active, with a retention that is quite high, (I am always looking for those
higher than the set undo_retention time) I've ordered these by the maxqueryid.
You can also use the query below and change what you want to look deeper into
the undo at what EXACTLY is in your undo, not just unactive, etc...

select vst.sql_text, vu.maxqueryid, vu.maxquerylen, vu.tuned_undoretention
from v$undostat vu, v$session vs, v$sqltext vst
where vu.tuned_undoretention > 43200  <--set this to your undo_retention!!
and vu.maxqueryid=vst.sql_id
and vst.piece=0
and vu.maxqueryid not in  vs.sql_id
group by vst.sql_text,vu.maxqueryid,vu.maxquerylen, vu.tuned_undoretention
order by vu.maxqueryid;

If you run the above query, do you see your accused statement?  Then you have
an avenue to look down for what is behind this statement and why it might still
be utilizing undo if it's not active.  First look at the code that the SQL_ID
belongs to:

select o.owner, o.object_name, o.object_type, s.program_line#
from v$sql s, dba_objects o
where sql_id = '<SQL_ID>'
and s.program_id=o.object_id;

This will give you the exact object and line the statement comes from,
(especially helpful if you have code like mine where it's re-used often...)

Next, if this code is listed as the issue, then you are going to have to "prove
it innocent"...  Trace back through the session to the prev_id,  (use the
sql_id from your statement and then select from v$session where prev_id equals
it.)  See if it is being mistakenly blamed and this should aim you to the
processes that are eating up the undo if it's a still active process or a
background process if it's a process that's gone awry.

Hope this helps,

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."