ORA-01555 seems bogus

  • From: "Herring Dave - dherri" <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:10:02 -0600

Folks, I've got a curious situation where we're getting regular ORA-01555
errors yet they don't seem correct.  First a few things on the set up:

* 4-node RAC (+ 4-node RAC DG)
* 10.2.0.2
* RHEL 8 x 64GB servers

The query returned in the error is doing a full scan of a 3,100 row table,
which takes less than 1 sec to complete.  I've tried the same query repeatedly
and it always takes less than one second, even when trying it while ORA-01555
errors are being returned saying that query is failing elsewhere.  The query is
run 10,000+ times per day, always run from the same node.

The ORA-01555 error lists this query as having a duration of around 12,000
seconds each time, which from what I can tell is impossible.  Again, it's a
3,100 row table, no parallelism, 1 index (which isn't used by this query).  I
checked LAST_ANALYZED and the table hasn't been analyzed in 4 days.  I checked
DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS and it's had around 200 DML's since it was analyzed, but
the last of which was 2 days ago.

So is Oracle returning the wrong query?  Is the ORA-01555 bogus?  Checking
GV$UNDOSTAT, SSOLDERRCNT matches the # of ORA-01555 we're seeing (87 today, all
the same query).  All instances have the same UNDO_RETENTION (3600) and
similarly sized undo tablespaces.

Any clues how to catch the trouble making queries?

Dave Herring  | DBA, Global Technology Services
A c x i o m  C o r p o r a t i o n
630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 cell | 630-944-4989 fax
1501 Opus Pl | Downers Grove, IL, 60515 | U.S.A. | www.acxiom.com
Service Desk: 888-243-4566, https://servicedesk.acxiom.com, GSCA@xxxxxxx

privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.