Re: ORA-01115 IO error reading block from file string

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:44:20 +0100

I'd certainly consider running dbverify against the datafiles.

Are all the files on the same volume?

On 5/25/06, Freeman, Donald <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We have started experiencing this error in the last few weeks and are trying to identify the cause. We opened a ticket with Oracle and one with HP (SAN).I just checked the logs from the web servers and found this ORA-01115 error was logged by the web application 6 times yesterday between 2:49 and 3:10 PM. We're not sure if it's both nodes or just one. The last time it had been logged previously was 12/22/05. Four of those times, it was the same file that our batch process had a problem with -- PARTIES_DATA01.dbf. On the other 2 occasions, it was PARTIES_DATA02.dbf and LOCATION_DATA01.dbf.

HP says the SAN is healthy, Windows hasn't logged any issues, and Oracle
says it isn't their problem.  If anyone has a suggestion for diagnosing
this, I'm all ears.

*ORA-01115 IO error reading block from file string (block # string)
Cause:* The device on which the file resides is probably off line.
*Action:* Restore access to the device, then retry the operation.

Don Freeman
Database Administrator 1
Bureau of Information Technology
Pennsylvania Department of Health