Re: ORA-00942 on view containing ANSI join

  • From: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nkodner@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 07:53:42 -0500

I can't comment on whether this is a bug beyond saying no, no, no...
never mix ansi and traditional join syntaxes like this.  Either go all
ANSI which requires the INNER JOIN or all traditional.  In my
experience ANSI joined tables can not see tables mentioned in the
traditional format which explains your issue.  In any case you are in
uncharted waters with mixed syntax joins.

If you were to do this with all ANSI it should look something like:

SELECT <col>...
    FROM table a
              INNER JOIN table b
              ON ( a.col = b.col )
              LEFT OUTER JOIN table c
              ON ( c.col = b.col)
  WHERE ...

I've got a presentation and paper that walks you through the
traditional vs. ansi join logic and discusses some of the issues.
Find that paper here http://tinyurl.com/yb5bq82

--
Rumpi Gravenstein