RE: ORA-00018 issues

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:33:52 -0600 (CST)

How many sessions are the maximum allowed in your particular database?

I notice your user is executing a portal pooling program which might
actually generate several sessions.  We've run into this with java pools
before, specifically in the BEA portal program.  Each session actually
spawns X*Y "pooled" sessions, where X and Y are parameters within the
config file for the portal itself.

The theory behind this is that the application has a connection pool, and
thereby each individual transaction avoids the overhead of
connect/disconnect.   The problem is they are started, in advance, before
the application is even available, and the database must accommodate the
computed value.

The best way, short of parsing through the documentation for the product
configuration (and which is not always to be trusted), would be to
temporarily set sessions to a very high number to see how many are
actually required.  You can then decide whether you can afford the actual
number plus a little bit more (in terms of resources) or find out how to
ratchet it down within the application.