ORA-00018 issues

We're experiencing a very strange problem...ORA-00018 errors.

Yes, I know that the error means 'maximum number of sessions exceeded',
but that is not the case.

We are running Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 on Solaris 10.  We have a consultant
who is working in this database, using a connection string like:

jdbc:cp:uPortalPooled;driver=oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver;url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@mydb.mydomain.xxx;1234:MYDB

where mydb.mydomain.com is the machine and MYDB is the database SID.

We're trying to figure out if his attempts to connect are messing things
up, or if there is something else going on.

If we reboot the machine, the problem disappears -- we can connect via sqlnet.
Then the consultant tries his connection, gets the error and we can no longer
connect via sqlnet.

Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?  We're looking into java issues,
as well as system/database issues, but so far nothing is obvious.

- Maureen