RE: ORA 28604 - table is too fragmented

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:33:32 -0400

Gene,

Not tested, and I'm not sure there's a quick, easy test case for this
one, but, after moving data out of the problem table, you may try this:
1.)  Figure how many rows per block you want.
2.)  Insert that number of rows into the table.  insert into
problem_table select * from temp_table where rownum <=
number_of_desired_rows_per_block;
3.)  Verify that all those rows are in the same block.
4.)  alter table problem_table minimize records_per_block;  --This sets
the Hakan factor, a limit on the max. number of rows/block the table
will ever have.
5.)  delete from problem_table;  --don't truncate, that will reset the
Hakan factor.
6.)  insert into problem_table select * from temp_table;

-Mark
--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."