Re: OMS and Repository Preferences

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:24:14 +0100

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I said, "Once you go HA, you have to pay.", once again suggesting that
> RAC and DG are paid for options.

In general I'd agree with that. However it seems pretty clear to me (not a
licensing expert, haven't done this, YMMV etc etc) that HA can be provided
by Oracle Clusterware for the Repository, since condition 2 below from the
special use licensing guide applies. There are of course other
active/passive solutions from other vendors.

Oracle Clusterware
> Oracle Clusterware can be installed and used to protect any Oracle or
> third-party software provided any of the following conditions are met:
> The software being protected is from Oracle.
> The software being protected uses an Oracle Database.
> The software being protected is running on Oracle Unbreakable Linux.
> The software being protected is running in a cluster where at least one
> machine involved in the cluster is licensed using the appropriate metric
> for either Oracle Database Enterprise Edition or Oracle Database Standard
> Edition.
> A cluster is defined to include all the machines that share the same
> Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) and Voting Disk.

 If you tried the above with RAC One Node then I'd expect a tense
discussion with the sales rep :(.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA