Re: OID setup guide....

  • From: "Yechiel Adar" <adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:05:35 +0200

I am currently testing this configuration. Here are the main guide lines (
this is on windows) :

1) Go with 9.2.0.4. Install 9.2.0.1, upgrade to 9.2.0.4 then install the
9.2.0.1 OID tools and run upgrade to 9.2.0.4 again.
    After you install the 9.2.0.1 OID, Oracle activate the OID configuration
assistance. Exit and upgrade.
2) Build a new database and select new database option. If you select OID
database you get 9.2.0.1 database.
3) Ensure that you can connect to the new database.
4) Activate OIDCA and select the option to build OID in the database.
5) Activate the directory manager and build a new entry for your data. You
can do this by selecting entry com, right click and select create like.
write in the upper window something like DC=MYENTRY. in the lower window
just write MYENTRY.
You need a new entry as OID will not work if you build your oracle schema
under root.
6) Close directory manager.
7) Open net configuration assistance and select directory usage
configuration. in the next screen select the third option: create additional
context. In the following screens you are asked for the tree entry to create
the context in (the default is root). write dc=MYENTRY there.
8) after the work is done you return to the first screen and select
directory usage configuration. You then select the server and schema you
just created.
9) Go to naming method configuration and add directory to the right panel.
Close the tool. do not put directory before tnsnames on the OID server as it
needs to resolve the access to the OID database via tnsnames.
10) Activate oracle net manager. select directory and press on the tab:
command. select export service names (it really does import from
tnsnames.ora). do not forget to put dc= before the administrator name and to
select your entry on the screen that ask where put the data.
11) open a dos window and do tnsping to a database. If it writes that it use
tnsnames to resolve the name remove this entry from tnsnames and try again.
you should see it resolve the address via the directory.

One more thing to think about: Survival. You need to have two OID servers
with the same data (you can use OID replication, I have not got to that yet)
and to configure the clients to fall back to the second OID if one is down.
This is a central resource and your all oracle application will stop if this
server goes down.

Yechiel Adar
Mehish