RE: OER 7451 in Load Indicator : Error Code = OSD-04500: illegal option specified

  • From: "Wolfson Larry - lwolfs" <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wolfson Larry - lwolfs" <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle_l" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:11:10 -0500

OK Harel sent me
"Larry,
MOS says it's caused when you install 32bit Oracle on 64bit Windows.
This isn't supported.

"On ML I found one document and it was EMPTY."
You were probably using Firefox 3.6. There is a bug with MOS and FF3.6
that causes notes to open up empty, you should open them in a new
window/tab.

Harel Safra"

That's right.   I switched to IE and got the doc

SELECT DISTINCT ADDRESS FROM V$SQL WHERE ROWNUM<2;
ADDRESS
----------------
0000000386D3E060  64 bit

If the address is 16 characters long, it is 64 bit.   If it is 32 bit
you will get an 8 character address.

SQL> SELECT DISTINCT ADDRESS FROM V$SQL WHERE ROWNUM<2;

ADDRESS
--------
A7B7F790  32 bit

    So a mis-match.  I'll have to see what the want to do

    Thanks Harel,
    Larry

This document is being delivered to you via Oracle Support's Rapid
Visibility (RaV) process and therefore has not been subject to an
independent technical review.

Applies to:

Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition - Version: 10.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.1 -
Release: 10.2 to 11.2
Microsoft Windows (32-bit)
Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit)

Symptoms

The following error repeats over and over in the database alert log
immediately after startup.

OER 7451 in Load Indicator : Error Code = OSD-04500: illegal option
specified
O/S-Error: (OS 1) Incorrect function. !

Changes

This is a new installation.

Cause

Installed 32-bit Oracle database software on a 64-bit MS Windows OS
which is not supported.  Here is excerpt from Note: 740926.1
<https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&id=740926.1&type=N
OT>  on this subject.

Note: For the Database software, you can ONLY install the x64 version on
MS Windows (x64).
          You can NOT install the 32-bit version Database software on MS
Windows (x64).

Solution

Install 32-bit Oracle database software only on 32-bit MS Windows OS.