Re: OEMGC on VM with Windows 2008 Server

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>,<kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:27:19 -0400

We are running GC 10.2.0.5 on a windows VM Ware server without problems.
 The database is on a separate X64 server.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

>>> Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx> 9/24/10 1:21 PM >>>
I Have an APEX I use for development on a VM on my personal LAN and it
works fairly well... mind you, it's not a full load test server, for
that I have the production LAN in which I have an LPAR for dev/test
purposes.

Both the dev/test and prod OEMGC are on LPARs which are virtual servers
but far better than VMW.

I have ran APEX on HTTP Server (back in 10.2.0.3 days) for production
and it was stable... it required some tweaking on the VM side, but it
should be fairly simple.

On the other hand, you can try Oracle VM, which in theory works ok with
OEMGC.

I used to have a OEMGC in a portable VM so when I got to a customer's
office I'd fire it up and have a working OMS there... it was a ugly
config and it usually had no more than three or four targets, but it
worked. (I've since stopped visiting small customers and started working
for very large corporations, so having a full LPAR or seven for the Grid
is possible)...

I guess the answer there depends on the number of targets you are
planning to have.

hth
Alan.-

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Ello everyone!
Just a little pro-active research here...:) The boss is investigating
and would like to test building our OEMGC on a VM, (VMWare, paid version
4 or they are researching the free version, but that makes me a bit
nervous...) This is version 10.2.0.5 on the OEM and also house our RMAN
catalog.
This VM server would also be home for our 11g, (11.0.7.0) Apex and an
open source 10.2.0.4 ODBC bridge to SQL Server.
My previous experience with OEM on a VM server was not very positive,
but it was a couple years ago and due to, (my theory here...)
misconfiguration of the resources that allowed the OEM VM to be starved
for the resources in CPU and memory it required to run 24/7.
Anyone out there running OEM and/or Apex on VMWare or another VMServer?
Any recommendations? Warnings? Risks and gotchas? I prefer to be as
prepared as possible in the upcoming build vs. going in blind... :)
Thanks!

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.