Re: OEMGC and Standard Edition?

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Gus Spier <gus.spier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ahh!  I knew there was a reason for all the artifact, legacy suites of
> scripts we've inherited.
>
> Our problem is that the previous incumbents became "overwhelmed" as they
> downsized and transitioned ... leaving a situation for a new gang of dbas to
> paw through and evaluate between than 1k mail messages carping about
> "check_alert_logs" and "find_oracle_zombies"
>
> After too many months, we finally have the beast trimmed down to less than
> 20 emails a day ... mostly dealing with a script that someone else owns.

IMO there some elements of using monitoring scripts that must be done
correctly to be useful.

Years ago I started out by emailing reports to myself.

Ugh.  It requires too much time and attention to detail to read and evaluate
these reports.

Most of the scripts that I now run as monitors will send an email when a
problem is detected.
The relevant information will be included, server, error, time, etc.

There are some exceptions.
There's a script that runs daily to determine the recoverability of
databases.
Scanning this list is quite simple, so it stays as is.

BTW, it is based on Tim Gormans excellent rman scripts.
http://www.evdbt.com/tools.htm#rman_chk_catalog

Alert log monitors email error messages when appropriate.

If a database is down during required uptime hours, an email is sent.

If a job scheduled via DBA_JOBS is broken or appears to be hung,
an email is sent.

Here I should clarify the term 'email'.

Critical messages are sent SMS to the DBA phone.
They are also sent via email to DBA's.

Standard daily reports and other non-critical events are sent via email.

Emails are addressed to an Active Directory distribution list, not an
individual address.
This simplifies controlling who gets the email.

SMS are generally configured individually per monitor.
A distribution list would be nice for this, don't know if that is possible,
guess I should check. :)

All of the reports are still sent, but I don't need to read them all.  :)

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com