RE: OEMGC and Standard Edition?

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "Kellyn Pedersen" <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 18:10:43 -0400

That's how I became a perl scripter myself - back in the day when I was a
systems guy, I'd hack something together using a shell script, and inevitably,
someone would want me to shove event details into a database, then they'd want
a web UI, and graphs and charts, and I'd end up rewriting the whole thing in
perl anyway.

So I just started writing everything in perl.

Then I was fortunate enough to go to work at a company whose whole web codebase
was perl, and some of those folks and I started a software company where I work
now....and guess what our software is written in?  Yep, Perl.

It's a shame Perl has fallen out of favor for scripting - it really is a nice
language, and CPAN is a huge help.  I understand people's complaints about how
it's almost impossible to enforce any kind of coding standards in Perl, because
the language is so forgiving, but I still think it's ideal for infrastructure
management.

Matt