RE: OEMGC and Standard Edition?

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tim@xxxxxxxxx" <tim@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:36:40 -0700

Hi Tim, yes, you can use Grid Control to manage SE Target DBs - I had the same
question a while back and hunted down the answer, but don't have any links
handy and too busy to dig them up at the moment.  Grid Control gives you the
ability to enable/disable the management pack functionality for each target so
you can turn it off to prevent users from clicking on things they shouldn't be.
 I installed GC and tested it out for a while and in the end decided it was
more trouble than it was worth so I just stick with the stand-alone DB Console
instead and only start it up and use it very rarely when I'm really desperate
for a GUI for some reason.  I manage all my scheduled tasks through cron and
monitoring/alerting through very efficient and reliable scripts, which I guess
qualifies me as what Oracle calls a "DBA 1.0" these days.

Regards,
Brandon