Re: OEM or lots of code?

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris Dunscombe <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:45:14 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,

I think this is an excellent point. In fact, as I
understand it, you should not use the PL/SQL
interfaces into the various licensed items in 10g.
Still, in 10g there were a number of new features that
were not special or licensed that one could use.

I think there are a number of people who do own these
packs, so some coverage is warranted... but we don't
want that coverage to overshadow the standard features
either. It's always a careful balancing act when
determining what to cover and what not to cover and
then, what depth one will cover things too.

RF

--- Chris Dunscombe <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Robert,
>
> My only comment is that AFAIK most of the OEM
> Advisories require one of the
> chargeable packs e.g. Tuning, Diagnostics etc. How
> many sites are actually
> licensed to use these packs and hence the OEM
> Advisories? Hence how much page
> coverage, in relation to other features, is
> appropriate for features that most
> people SHOULDN'T be using due to licensing.
>
> Just a point for you to consider.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>

> Quoting Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>:
>

> > In this new book, I'm considering biasing my
> coverage to OEM for a few
> > reasons:
> >
> > 1. OEM is less complex to use.
> > 2. Adding coverage for both will take up many more
> pages. When you are
> > writing a book you are limited to a page count
> range, so depth is limited
> > based on this too.
> > 3. The Code route, in and of itself, can be
> complex. I'm not sure if it's
> > worth the extra time to add the code in some cases
> just because of this
> > complexity.
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone who has used these
> features or suspect they will use
> > them in the future has a preference. In some
> cases, if page count allows,
> > I'll do both. In some cases I need to select
> either/or due to page count
> > considerations. In the past, I've been very
> heavily code oriented and really
> > relegated OEM to the background, but now I'm
> thinking of moving in the other
> > direction.
> >
> > Thoughts??
> >
> > RF
> >

> > Robert G. Freeman
> > Oracle Consultant/DBA/Author
> >
> > --
> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
> >

> Chris Dunscombe
>
> www.christallize.com

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Now Available for Pre-Sales on Amazon.com!!!!
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)