RE: OEM justification -oem Poll

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <BSpears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:34:35 -0400

Well done, Matt.  Even if slightly biased, I think you did a good
summarization on the top of using GC and other tools for monitoring.

I like to think of monitoring as an auditing function, in a sense, and I
question whether or not Oracle is going to necessarily expose it's own
poor housekeeping and software failures when reporting on their own
databases.  I've already seen where they somehow will neglect to do so
if it's suits their interests.

I work in a large shop offering enterprise hosting to a myriad of
customers.  Absolutely none of them are clamoring for GC.  They want
things as simple as possible.  It is probably an easy install in a lab,
but try getting it to run in the real world where servers are in
multiple physical locations seperated by firewalls and VPNs.  That is
one of the major problems I encountered - problem is, when GC can't
report/install on a client, or when the client can't be "discovered"
from the GC host, there are practically NO TOOLS available from Oracle
to determine the problem.  Even when you open an SR and it is figured
out, the process is not repeatable.  I could go on and on about the
limits of GC, but I do agree that the free pieces are probably worth
looking into, especially if you've just moved into a shop and want a
good picture of the environment, and what needs fixing. But for
day-to-day monitoring of important systems with reliable information, I
would not even consider this product mature enough to be considered....