RE: OEM

  • From: David Wagoner <dwagoner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:29:20 -0500

Yes, in OEM you can create a user-defined SQL test.  Yes, it monitors disk
space, node up/down, CPU utilization, etc.
I currently have OEM monitoring 8 servers and about 15 databases.  Some
problems I've encountered are hanging Intelligent Agents- have to restart
them and then they send tons of queued alerts at once.  Also, some
difficulty with sending alerts to pagers and cell phones (email works fine
though).  When it works properly, it's a nifty tool that can save you time
developing your own tools.  However, given the problems I've had so far, I
use redundant monitoring scripts for disk space and other vital stats.

If you've paid for Enterprise Edition, it may be worth experimenting with to
see if it works in your environment.

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions
Web: http://www.arsenaldigital.com

"the most trusted source for
            STORAGE MANAGEMENT SERVICES"

The contents of this e-mail message may be privileged and/or confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, any review, dissemination, copying,
distribution or other use of the contents of this message or any attachment
by you is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by telephone
(919-466-6700), and please delete this message and all attachments from your
system.
Thank you.