Re: OCR / VD external vs. normal redundancy using NFS.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM, D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm usually using the normal redundancy, putting each voting disk / cluster
> registry in its own volume.
> You might want to read
> http://freekdhooge.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/two-oracle-rac-bugs-on-the-wall-two-oracle-bugs-take-one-down/.
>  Because of this "bug" I needed to switch to iscsi for the cluster registry
> volumes. It is probably still valid with 11gR2

Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

I've read your post and the ones from Geert de Paep. What I understand
is that problem seems to exist when you have several OCR disks. But if
you choose "External redundancy" instead of "Normal redundancy" when
you install the Grid Infrastructure software, you end up with a single
OCR disk. Hence this bug would not happen. Right?

But is using "External redundancy" for OCR a bad idea when you have a
single storage array?

Because if that single storage array suffers a catastrophic failure,
you end up loosing not only the OCR disk, but the voting disk and all
database files as well. The entire cluster would be down even with
several OCR disks.

So even if I switch to iSCSI, I would still have the same "single
storage array" problem. Since all LUNs would be stored on that storage
array.

Unless there are other ways for an OCR disk to become corrupted?

Thanks,

David