OCM Stats Module and DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:47:09 -0800 (PST)

Here's my stupid question for the week-  I'm sure I'm just missing something
here...

Oracle 10.2.0.4 on Linux-  I'm under the impression from all that I've read,
that the DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS table contains tables, along with row count
changes for tables that are considered "stale" and need to have stats gathered.

Should the OCM auto job for gathering stats, that's driven off the
DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS table, clear ALL objects that are in that table once it
runs on it's schedule?

I have tables back from the conception of the database in
DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS.  No gathering of stats have been taken by the auto stats
job.  This is both for the SYS and the application schema, so it's not just at
a level where I would look for a setting that says, "don't gather stats on
system schema objects".

I've verified that if I gather stats on a table that is in
DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS, it updates and removes the entry from the table, so it's
not an issue of not updating the table and the stats job doing it's part-  it
simply is disregarding certain tables in the DBA_TAB_MODIFICATIONS table.  The
jobs are scheduled precisely as they should and are running to completion, no
issues there.

There isn't a lot of documentation on the OCM stats module, but maybe I'm not
searching for the right terms...

Can anyone tell me-  is there a bug in 10g for this feature?  Is this table
utilized differently than what I think it is? Is Kellyn just not searching with
the right terminology? :)

Thanks!

Kellyn Pedersen
Multi-Platform DBA
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."