Re: OAS report server sometimes does not create reports

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 13:17:52 -0700 (PDT)

The problem of our report server has been fixed. The app team usually compiles
a report against the development database (sometimes against prod) and then the
binary is deployed to prod and we don't have any issue. But this time, we do.
So they compiled the report against prod. As soon as the rep file is deployed
to prod, we no longer have the problem! The only difference between the Dev and
Prod databases is that Dev is Windows and Prod is Linux. The Oracle version is
10.2.0.4 for both. Data are identical.

Well, the deadlock problem was gone. A minor problem started: users can run the
report if the number of records is below a certain number. Beyond that, the
report engine crashes. We already increased a couple of capacity-related report
server parameters by a lot. Then we turned off trace (commented out trace_all
in the conf file). This problem was also solved.

Yong Huang

--- On Tue, 9/4/12, Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oracle Application Server 10.1.0.3 on RHEL 4

Once in a while, users get error "REP-0178: Cannot connect to Reports Server
..." when trying to create a report. Whenever this happens, I notice that the
report server java process (found by ps -ef | grep rep_) shows ORA-4020 in
strace output:

$ strace -f -s 85 -e trace=write -p 3692
Process 3713 attached with 14 threads - interrupt to quit
[ Process PID=3692 runs in 32 bit mode. ]
ORA-04020: deadlock detected while trying to lock object
/Namespace0002/PKG_ACC_DATA
[more message text omitted here]