Now: Hardware performance Was: Does anyone run test win vs. linux and can share how muchfaster is linux than windows, please?

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jkstill@xxxxxxxxx'" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, VerreyB@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:04:53 -0700

Actually, this makes an interesting topic.... Our very own Stephane Faroult
wrote an excellent article for SELECT Q2 '04 titled "How Hardware
performance translates into Oracle Performance". In it he showed how a
*badly* written query shows a tremendous increase in performance when the
hardware is upgraded while a well written query shows only marginal
improvement when running on better hardware... Now I am not invalidating
Jared's tests, nor am I claiming that Linux is better than Windows, but just
pointing out that there could be a different twist to this whole thing.
Maybe Stephane can summarize the findings here?

John Kanagaraj

  _____