RE: Non Oracle knowledge to be a good Oracle DBA/expert

  • From: "Richard J. Goulet" <rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oralrnr@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:57:06 -0400

Well I'll put in my 2 cents here.  To be a good DBA you need to think of
the bigger picture wherever you are.  If all your going to do is look
inward at the database then you'll quickly find yourself replaced by a
button.  You need to find ways to exploit the data your the care taker
of to further the business your in.  That means making use of the
technology in the database as well as the data.  Past life that I can
talk about we used the technology of the database to allow a PeopleSoft
panel to query a non PeopleSoft database that held shop floor testing
data.  With that we no longer shipped units that were not properly
tested or had been mislabeled.  Small task for me, much bigger impact on
the companies bottom line and customer satisfaction.

Kanbay <http://www.kanbay.com/>
Richard J. Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA
45 Bartlett ST | Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
Tel: 508.573.1978 | Fax: 508.229.2019 | Cell: 508.742.5795
rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx>