Newbie question on recovering an offline datafile

  • From: Jaeger David - Grand Rapids <David.Jaeger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:18:13 -0500

This is not an urgent situation as this only involves a test instance of the
database.  Here is the situation.  I refresh our TEST and DVLP instances of
our production database through a series of scripts.  On our production
database (8i) I added a new datafile to a tablespace.  When I do this I
manually add the new datafile definition to a script that creates the new
control files for the refreshed TEST or DVLP database.  Well this script
wasn't updated prior to the last refresh of the TEST datasbase.

At this point I receive error messages from our concurrent manager (we run
Oracle Apps 10.7) containing ORA-376 and ORA-1111 errors.  I found that  the
database didn't know what to do with the references to the new datafile and
took it offline.  I found the offending datafile and renamed it in the
database, but now I can't bring it back online.  It appears that the
datafile needs to be recovered.  I can easily solve the problem by
refreshing the TEST database from last night's backup of the production
database, but I would rather use this as a learning exercise.  Can anyone
guide me through the steps needed to resolve this issue?

Thank You,
David Jaeger