RE: New dba questions to the former dba?

  • From: "Stephen Andert" <StephenAndert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:19:55 -0600

That wouldn't have worked for me at one job.  I asked the DBA that was
leaving for information on a job that was having problems (he wrote the
extract job that was failing).  He said "The closer it gets to Friday,
the less I remember about this place".

That was the sum total of knowledge transfer he gave me.

I REALLY needed to get comfortable with documentation and resources
like this list REALLY fast to come up to speed since that was my first
job as an Oracle DBA.

I'm happy to have lived through it.  That which does not kill you makes
you stronger."  And I am stronger now than I was then.

Stephen

>>> "DENNIS WILLIAMS" <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/16/04 07:43AM >>>
Alex - Here is something that worked well for me. I took at tape
recorder
and when we got down to "the" discussion, I pulled out the recorder
and
asked permission to record the conversation. That night, between my
notes
and the recording I was able to put together a document with a wealth
of
details that I needed. The next day I asked him to review the document
and
provide any corrections. Worked great. Then he left and I lived from
that
document for the next month while I got on my feet. I never needed to
phone
him.

Dennis Williams
DBA