Re: New books and new authors - and experience?

  • From: "Carel-Jan Engel" <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:02:00 +0100 (CET)

> it seems to me that most authors are consultant. How much does it help to
> market yourself to have a book?

Of course this helps. Actually, this is one of the reasons that I do not
write books so far, but articles in magazines.

Some advantages are:
- Short 'Time to Market'. An article gets published within weeks, not
months, quarters or years. Writing about _facts_ is much easier this way

- Constant flow of visibility: Writing a book requires to 'bury' yourself
for a significant amount of time. The visibililty will last probably much
shorter.

- Keeping a social life. Of course deadlines are still in place, but
pretty much manageable. I'm writing articles (and columns) for two (Dutch)
magazines for 7 years now, and feel pretty comfortable with it. I've some
ideas for some books, but still don't know whether I should do it.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
===