RE: New Survey

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wblanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wblanchard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:44:47 -0500

My office supports 128 programs with lots of databases both Oracle and SQL.
Unfortunately our approach to developers, business owners, and consultants
across the enterprise is inconsistent.  In our worst case we have a business
owner who years ago bought his own (mission critical) application and support
from a contractor. He wanted the whole thing, servers and all, set up in his
office without any departmental IT support at all.  In retrospect we should
have let him.  His team has full access to the production database and have
developed any number of business processes that require manual intervention by
his office staff. My DBA predecessor revoked all those privileges one time and
then was forced to re-grant them because it put the office out of business.
It's a case of his daddy is bigger than my daddy.

In the second tier of "bad" are applications (a couple) that have imbedded
passwords that are known to development staff or contractors. In one of these
the application user is the application schema owner.  These are the kind of
things that I have named, perhaps not originally, zero-day architectural
decisions that last the life of the application.

Lastly are those, the majority, where developers, and some super-users have
read-only access to the databases. Now, when we on-board a new application I'm
there to ask these questions up front.  I have to say that our application
development team management is a lot better than it used to be also. They've
got some more effective checklists.

As well as your survey you might print out some of these emails.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health