(Nevermind): Question regarding lob column

  • From: Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 15:35:16 -0800

In addition to using the alter table ... move command, I can
enable row movement on the table and then use the alter table
... shrink space command....  It's amazing what they hide in
that administrator's manual....

- Maureen

Maureen English wrote:
Hi,

We have a table that has a lob column. The table is in tablespace A, the lob storage is
in tablespace B (with an associated index).

Every month a job runs and adds more data to this table, so we've had to add datafiles on a regular basis. Now the user wants to delete some data so we don't have to keep adding datafiles, but can reuse some of the space that's already been allocated to the
tablespaces.

So, I got a rowcount from the table before the user deleted anything, and I also got the
bytes and extents values from dba_segments for the tablespaces.

The user then proceeded to delete at least 1/3 of the rows in the table. When I did my queries again, the rowcount had changed as expected, but the bytes and extents values didn't change for the segments in dba_segments. There were 172 extents before and there
are 172 extents after the delete.

Any ideas as to why no extents appear to have been freed up?

We don't have Grid Control or EM available, so I can't see any pictures of space usage....

- Maureen