RE: Netbackup on a RAC

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <mkline1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:16:27 -0400

This comes from the conventional wisdom that backups of large databases
must require high I/O throughput, something that LPARs and other virtual
machines cannot provide.  Basically all of that CW is wrong.  Certainly,
a 20TB data warehouse that needs to be able to be backed up in a few
hours requires high levels of IO, but not every database has those short
windows, nor are LPARs unable to support that amount of throughput.  A
heavily loaded physical system with a pile of LPARs _could_ have
problems with throughput, but its not a truism that LPAR automatically
equals lower throughput than a physical system, nor that a large data
set means automatically high throughput requirements.

Also, I seem to remember from the original post that this database is
around 20GB - that hardly qualifies as large these days.

Turn this into a numbers game - how much data, how often does it need to
be backed up, and how long can it take to back up?  Based on that, you
can make an informed decision about whether an LPAR can support the IO.

Matt