RE: Netapp snapshot backups for RAC

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:59:45 -0500

It works great.  Put the database in hotbackup mode, take a snapshot, back up
the snapshot.  Couple of notes, though:

- Remember that the way NetApp snapshots work, any I/Os to the snapshots go
against the same physical disks.  Normally not an issue, but if you're already
heavily utilized on those disks, you can get performance problems.
- If you want a more elegant/automated way of doing these backups, there's
SnapManager for Oracle. Additional cost option, but it saves the
scripting/integration headaches you deal with when doing things by hand
- Since you're using ASM, make sure to not expose the snapshotted LUNs to the
original server, since they'll have the same disk labels and headers
- Also, you can use snapshots to make backups of your OCR device as well, prior
to attempting to add a resource, or reconfigure your cluster
- Any reason you're not using NFS/DNFS for your database?  It simplifies a lot
of the things above

Thanks,
Matt