Re: NetApp SAN - monitoring aggregate free space

  • From: Morgan <morgan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: avramil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:44:44 +0200

is it the aggregate or the volume filled up in your incidents?

The aggr commands you posted are working on the filer and not on the sun
box. if you have that access you can always issue aggr show_space
<aggregate_name>  to get the picture of the aggregate sizing.

snapshot reserve on volume level in netapp only tells you how much
percentage of the volume that are reserved for snapshots, not letting your
ordinary data grow into this. The other way around though, the snapshots can
grow outside it's reserved space and fill up your volume. This happens alot,
especially if you store snapshots for a few days and have a lot of archiving
going on.

nothing is seen from smo when it comes to sizes, however if you have access
to the .snapshot directory you can always issue an du -sh inside it to get
how large the snapshots are, otherwise you need to ask someone with
filer-access to provide the information. on the filer: snap list
<volume_name> and snap delta <volume_name> should give you some interesting
output about snapshot sizing and growing.

//Morgan