Re: Negative ramifications of setting CPU_COUNT lower?

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mwf@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:14:07 -0600

Note that "instance caging" is enabled by using database resource manager in
conjunction with setting cpu_count. I don't think it answers your questions,
but it is relevant as it is a case where setting the cpu_count is necessary.
I agree with Mark that, in general, letting Oracle determine and use its
defaults is best practice--especially when going to a new release.

Anyway, here's the info from the 11.2 docs on instance caging:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10595/dbrm007.htm#ADMIN13333

Dan