Re: Need for primary keys

On 5/31/07, BLock@xxxxxxxx <BLock@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just started at a new company about 4 months ago and I noticed that
about 4800 of the 7900 tables ( 60% ) do not have primary keys.

Is this a problem that I should bring to management or is it more based on
the business/application needs?

Do these tables at least have unique indexes?

The lack of PK's would indicate that your new employer does
not put much value on relational integrity, or is just ignorant
of the importance of it.

Or possibly even knows about it, but doesn't think it matters.
(assuming these are custom apps of course - not much control
over COTS apps )

In any case, if you just started there, it would probably be best
to learn the local political climate first.  The new guy making waves
is often not popular.  Unless you have the blessing of someone
in management that matters, it is a usually good idea to determine
wait awhile and start with something small.

Best learn what the apps are, how they work and who uses them,
and look for places to help out - ask which processes are slow,
help improve performance, that kind of thing.

Improve DBA things that need improved - backups, testing restores,
anything else that needs immediate attention.

If you decide to pursue the PK issue, you may find that the
database design is so haphazard that there isn't much point
in worrying about PK's.

If you do pursue it, pick an app (those 7900 tables are not
all one app I hope) whose owner welcomes the help.
( see getting to know apps above)

--
Jared Still