Re: Need data masking function ideas...

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 21:16:22 +0100

Posted from pub too many beers in. Can you abuse disabled rely constraints?

On 6 May 2011 19:54, "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok.... So I'm doing some data masking. The problem is that I have many many
tables that have related columns with no FK's... I'm going to use the data
masking pack to do the masking, but it does not offer the complete
functionality I need since the FK's are not in place. So I need a function
to call from the job to do most of the actual masking.

 I want to make sure that when I mask a given column that the following is
true:

1. The data length remains the same.
2. That the mask value for a given value remains the same.

For example, if on table A I have a column called test_col with rows with
values 1,2,3 and these mask to 3,1,6 , values 32,555,6433 will mask to
something like 22, 345 and 5500...

that on table B the same result will occur.

Now I know I can come up with a deterministic masking function/strategy to
do this, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks in advance...

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature
line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just
the opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the
past and will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical
production problem, you should always contact Oracle support for assistance.
Statements in this email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any
subsidiaries and reflect only the opinion of the author of this email.