Re: Need Compress utility on Linux

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:07:47 -0500

Why do you need compression on Linux.  My RMAN cold backup has a 51GIG
file in it.
That way I don't have to worry about having the uncompress utility
available
in the event that I need to do a restore. If you would like to have
smaller RMAN file
you set the channel limit for the file size you want.
Ron

>>> Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx> 02/02/2005 11:48:37 AM

Gzip (man gzip) is what you're looking for.  Make sure you've got a
recent version (not likely to be a problem under Linux, but I deal
with quite a few Solaris servers with an ancient release), and you
should have no trouble.  IIRC, 1.3.5 is the current version.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:00:38 -0600, Smith, Ron L. <rlsmith@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> We have been using the standard Oracle export piped into the
Compress
> utility on Unix for years.  Now we are moving to Linux and the
Compress
> will not handle files over 2G.  Is there another version of Compress
> available for Linux or is someone using another export / import
method?

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.