NLS question

  • From: Jimmy Brock <jimmybrock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:40:15 -0800

>Hi All,
>
>I had a quick question on the NLS configuration that I was hoping someone could
>help me out with
>
>Oracle 11.2 database with NLS_CHARACTERSET=US7ASCII and
>NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16
>
>Developer creates a table with nvarchar2(1000) column and tries to insert a ó
>into that column.
>
>Create table my_table(col1 nvarchar2(1000));
>Insert into my_table values ('Acadó');
>
>SQL> select * from my_table;
>COL1
>Acad?
>
>I was thinking this might be a session issue, but was not sure what I should
>have their client set NLS_LANG too.  If I set NLS_LANG to
>AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252 in the session I get a different result, but not
>exactly the one I am looking for
>
>SQL> select * from my_table;
>COL1
>Acado
>
>Any help would be appreciated
>Thanks in advance

NLS_CHARACTERSET=US7ASCII means 256 characters see http://www.asciitable.com/

If you need support beyond ASCII you may want to consider changing the
character set to WE8ISO8859P1. But before you do run the CSSCAN
utility - it checks to see if your current data can be migrated.

csscan fromchar=US7ASCII tochar=WE8ISO8859P1

It will report if character migration will be successful.

If you have a very large database running may take a while to complete.

--
Jimmy Brock