NIS database resolution

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:48:57 -0800

I'm investigating the use of NIS for database resolution.

The 10g Net docs state that tns2nis can be used to transform a
tnsnames.ora file into a format usable by NIS.

There are however very few references to the tns2nis utility, and none
of them are useful.

The tns2nis utility is not installed with any options I can find, and
it is not in any Oracle Home.

This utility has been around for quite awhile, I think I saw a
reference to it in Oracle 7 docs.

I've opened an SR to ask about this, but that kind of SR doesn't get
priority treatment.

So, if you've ever used NIS to resolve database names, how did you go about it?

How well did it (does it) work for you?

Thanks,

--
Jared Still