RE: Multiple Instance in Unix

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Amir Gheibi" <gheibia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:33:52 -0400

Mark,

        I run lots of database instances on the same box and have bumped
into the same problems, but have a solution.

        First put the following script somewhere where you can access it
when you log in (your sysadmin may have a good idea):

Start script
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
export OLD_SID="$ORACLE_SID"
if [ "$1" != "" ] ; then
   export ORACLE_SID="$1"
   if [ `cat /etc/oratab | grep "$ORACLE_SID" | wc -l` == "1" ] ; then
         echo "        Found database "$ORACLE_SID" in oratab"
         . oraenv
   else
      printf "        Oracle SID %s does not exist in /etc/oratab cannot
determine Oracle_Home\n" "$ORACLE_SID"
      export ORACLE_SID="$OLD_SID"
      #exit;
   fi;
else
   sd=( $(cat "/etc/oratab"))
   for element in $(seq 1 $((${#sd[@]} - 1)))
   do
      db=`echo "${sd[$element]}" | awk -F: '{print $1}' -`
      printf "      %2.0d %s\n" "$element" "$db"
   done
   printf "\n      Select database (1-%d): " "$element"
   read ans;
   if [ `echo "${sd[$ans]}" | awk -F: '{print $1}' -` != "#" ] ; then
      ORACLE_SID=`echo "${sd[$ans]}" | awk -F: '{print $1}' -`
      export ORACLE_SID
      if [ `cat /etc/oratab | grep "$ORACLE_SID" | wc -l` == "1" ] ;
then
         echo "Found "$ORACLE_SID" in oratab"
         export ORAENV_ASK=NO
         . oraenv
      else
         export ORACLE_SID="$OLD_SID"
         echo "Oracle SID "$ORACLE_SID" is undefined"
         #exit;
      fi
   fi
Fi
End script

I save it under the name chgsid.sh.  Make sure the permissions are 755.

        Second add  alias commands to you login script as follows:

alias db1='. /home/users/oracle/src/chgsid.sh db1'

The rest takes care of itself.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International