RE: Multiple Instance in Unix

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Amir Gheibi <gheibia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 07:57:02 -0400

Yes, exactly.  But also, keep in mind, if, for example, you have an /etc/oratab
that looks like this:
db1:/oracle/product/10.2.0:Y
db2:/oracle/product/10.2.0:Y

Then, you can do:
. oraenv

and enter 'db1' or 'db2' to switch ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID to appropriate
values for the instance you want to work on.
Then, if you do:
sqlplus / as sysdba

You'll be connected as SYS to whatever instance is running w/ that ORACLE_HOME
and ORACLE_SID.

But, keep in mind, once both instances are up and running, if you just want to
connect to one or the other as a non-SYS user, you don't need to keep running
'. oraenv'.  You can just do 'sqlplus yourusername@db1' or 'sqlplus
yourusername@db2' to get to whichever instance you need.  (Assuming of course a
proper listener.ora and tnsnames.ora setup.)

Hope that helps,

-Mark