RE: Multiple ASM instances on the same box

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:40:16 -0500

Hi Martin,

I stand corrected.

I think what I was (incorrectly) remembering, was actually the case where you
run two ASM instances on the same server, from the same ORACLE_HOME.  In that
case, you need to set one ORACLE_SID to something other than '+ASM', and
there's an undocumented parameter that you set on the database looking for ASM
storage, that tells it, "don't use '+ASM' for the ASM instance name, use this
other name instead".  I don't remember the name of the undocumented
parameter....but that's what I was thinking of.

But, bottom line, ASM and clusterware are both backward compatible, so, I stand
by my comment that I can't really think of any reason you'd want to run more
than one ASM (or more than one clusterware, if it's RAC) on the same server.

It all comes back to the KISS philosophy....(keep it simple....)

-Mark