Moving oracle to new platform.

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:55:14 -0400

I have time to answer this.

Our sys admin wants to do a hardware refresh essentially moving from
solaris Sun Sparce 5.8, 5.9 to 5.10 (and virtualize) on Sun Sparc.
Management has asked him to write up (cost analysis), and consider other
platforms such as HU-UX, x86, AIX, ...

Especially Solaris 5.10 on x86.  (cost).

Not sure if your first reaction is the same as mine....

I'll check the obvious like pre-requisites for transportable
tablespaces, but there may be considerations that are not coming
directly to mind that have costs... Like will all my existing tools
continue to work.   The down time and testing.  Applications and oracle
binaries need to be re-installed,

These are fairly straight forward and out of the box.   Is there
something in your experiences you can recall and mention?   We have
9.2.0.5, 10.1.0.2, 10.1.0.4, and 10.2.0.4, Also Enterprise manager Grid
Control, (and this would be a new IP I'm sure - groan).

Is 9.2.0.5 software still available for new platform?