Re: Moving 10gR2 db from one ASM diskgroup to another ASM diskgroup

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:00:44 +0100

Daniel,

as far as I understand ASM, there is realy no problem.
even if the Disks are of different size.
I did this between at least 3 different Storage Boxes at work, works really great.

One big advantage from my point of view: you really only exchange the disks. the DB remains the same (which is not true by exp/imp). And of course, there is NO downtime. A good side-effect: the more DMLs are running, the faster the SAN-exchange is running :-)

If your SA is not sure, ask him to do a prove: either he or you can be right, a little test can show.

hth
 Martin

Am 11.03.2010 um 20:50 schrieb Daniel Fink:

We got a George Carlin-esque "Well...I'm not sure about that" response from an SA about that particular scenario.

We will be adding disks from a different SAN (SAN2) and then dropping disks from the original SAN (SAN1). Do you see any problems with this?

Taking the database down is not a problem. It is a non-production system that we have permission to down...but the team also want it back up as soon as possible.