Re: Moving 10gR2 db from one ASM diskgroup to another ASM diskgroup

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:40:47 -0600

I would add and remove in a single alter diskgroup statement. That way, you only need one rebalance operation.

Dan

On Mar 11, 2010, at 1:35 PM, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Dan, by far the fastest way is to add the new disks onto the disk group, rebalance, then remove the old disks and rebalance. No downtime.

On Mar 11, 2010 7:15 PM, "Daniel Fink" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A colleague is trying to move a database from one ASM diskgroup on the database server to another ASM diskgroup. They have added a new SAN and want to move the database to it.

We are trying to determine the best way and fastest (tight deadline). Not a lot of time for testing. The database is not production and we have an export, but would rather not go through the process of totally recreating it.

Does anyone have experience moving a db from one ASM diskgroup to another diskgroup in the same instance?

Any experience with the following 10g command to accomplish this? (From Tim Hall's site)

# Copy the database into the ASM disk group.

RMAN> BACKUP AS COPY DATABASE FORMAT '+disk_group';

# Switch all datafile to the new ASM location.

RMAN> SWITCH DATABASE TO COPY;

Any/All input greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Daniel