Moving 10gR2 db from one ASM diskgroup to another ASM diskgroup

  • From: "Daniel Fink" <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:14:25 +0000

A colleague is trying to move a database from one ASM diskgroup on the database
server to another ASM diskgroup. They have added a new SAN and want to move the
database to it.

We are trying to determine the best way and fastest (tight deadline). Not a lot
of time for testing. The database is not production and we have an export, but
would rather not go through the process of totally recreating it.

Does anyone have experience moving a db from one ASM diskgroup to another
diskgroup in the same instance?

Any experience with the following 10g command to accomplish this? (From Tim
Hall's site)

# Copy the database into the ASM disk group.

RMAN> BACKUP AS COPY DATABASE FORMAT '+disk_group';

# Switch all datafile to the new ASM location.

RMAN> SWITCH DATABASE TO COPY;

Any/All input greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Daniel