Re: More on Oracle Support

  • From: "Mark Strickland" <strickland.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:03:31 -0700

At my last job, I and my co-DBA upgraded a 3-node RAC environment from
10.1.0.3 to 10.1.0.5.  What we expected to take around 5 hours took 30 hours
and we went through three support analysts around the globe until we reached
the one who got us back in business.  He was in Australia, I believe.  What
happened was that there was a non-fatal firewall rule problem that was
forgiven in 10.1.0.3, but gave 10.1.0.5 a hairball.  We couldn't keep the
RAC instances up for more than an hour or so and it wasn't at all clear what
was happening.  The take home lessons were:  1) Know the various logs and
trace files VERY well; 2) Know how to turn up trace in every way possible;
and 3) ESCALATE ESCALATE ESCALATE.

Regards,
Mark Strickland
Seattle