Re: Money for nothing and ASH for free

  • From: "kyle Hailey" <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:47:15 -0700

SGA attach from a performance point of view is probably better than Oracle
10g ASH. I've work on at least one site where the database hung, including
ASH collection. If they had used external SGA attach, then they would have
been able to collect the ASH data.
On the other hand 10g ASH includes some nice extras that I don't know how to
calculate with SGA attatch and SGA attach is much harder to package into an
easy install.
Installing a PLSQL package, though much less efficient, is much much easier
to write and maintain and distribute.
If someone has motivation and experience then of course the SGA attach could
get them the same info as the PLSQL package for extremely cheap.

On 6/21/07, John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Kyle. I know you advocated Direct SGA access for the same data,
but this is different, correct?

I have the issue of having to manage older 8i/9i databases so I
adapted 10g's ASH and Metrics ideas in a slightly different way and
wrote some code that could be used as the basis of a 'backport' of
these tools. Actually presented these ideas as a paper at COLLAB 06
and OOW 06, but stopped there and did not actually develop that into a
tool (I just display/spool the simulated ASH output and interpret it
as I see it). Let me know if you would like to see that paper. You can
probably use that to expand this concept to ADDM....

John

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc