RE: Migration from 8i to 11g

  • From: "Walker, Jed S" <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx' (oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:13:43 +0000

I recently did an 8i to 11g migration (8.1.7.4 -> 11.2.0.2). I opted to skip
going through 10g as it was just too much extra work. Also, I opted to do
export/import (yes, imp is still there in 11g) because I wanted to use new 11g
features (we had the benefit of doing this in dev, test, and then prod - not
sure if you have that luxury). I also used SQL Plan Management and migrated my
profiles over from the Test system to production as part of the upgrade to help
ensure good performance immediately after the upgrade.

I would definitely not just go to 10g because support won't be as good and
won't last as long.