Re: Migration from 8i to 11g

  • From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 00:01:44 +0530

David,
if your tests are successful according to you then why you are worried..
if upgrade path is proper then then the migration is not difficult..
I would have chosen 8i(in 8i mostly you are using dictionary managed tbs
and rbs, system and internal user)  to 9i (first time oracle introduced
asm, undos, rman, sys user with sysdba and sysoper..list pl correct me if
am wrong) with tbs migration and then from 9i to 10g (10204 is more stable)
or 11g

hope you also have a proper documentation of parameters used in 8i db and
to be used in 10g or 11g
also hope you have a proper documentation of grants, privis, roles used in
8i and to be used in 10g or 11g

many of the parameters, grants, privs, roles are deprecated..you need to
take into account this fact..

Actually, this can be an exciting project, do not look at it as a insane
migration..look at an opportunity to regenovate your application with very
much advanced features, Technic, query enhancement, architectural
changes..surely a feather in your crown..

only I would like to ask you is you have not informed about application..if
it is 8i then have you checked whether it can be still used using 11g..

thanks..subodh
On 5 March 2012 23:28, kathryn axelrod <kat.axe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >any other suggestions or comments we may take care of?
>
> Probably not at all what you were looking for, but I can't help but ask:
> Oracle doesn't support a direct 8i>11gR2 upgrade (551141.1) so what
> happens if something goes wrong during the upgrade/you encounter a
> completely wonky bug right after?
>

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:39 AM, David Ramírez Reyes <dramirezr@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hello all!
> > We have some old instances running on Oracle 8i (8.1.7.1) and right now
> we
> > are planning to migrate those to the latest version of Oracle (11g
> release
> > 2); I know that this is maybe an insane migration, but we as DBA's, don't
> > have that decision in our hands (this idea comes directly from the CIO,
> we
> > would like to migrate to 10g first).
> >
> > We have made some tests and the migration seems to be clean, but I must
> say
> > that this is the first time am using 11g and I would not like to find any
> > "surprise" when moving...
> >
> > Apart from the client upgrade, any other suggestions or comments we may
> > take care of?
> >
> > Any information is appreciated!
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > David Ramírez
> >
> > --
> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
> >

> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Love me or Hate me both are in my Favour.
Love me, I am in your Heart. Hate me, I am in your Mind.